The deadline to apply is December 1, 2017.
The following application instructions are for:
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Contemporary Musical Theatre
All freshman candidates for undergraduate admission must complete the following:
Submit The Common Application
You may apply to the School of Dramatic Arts using the Common Application, which will include some USC-specific questions. In addition to the online application, you will be asked to submit additional materials. For specific information about the items you will need submit, please visit USC Admission’s First-Year Application Checklist.
Note: Applicants who wish to be considered for the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Contemporary Musical Theatre must list it as their first-choice major on the Common Application. Given the limited number of spots for this program, we encourage you to add the BA in Dramatic Arts as your second-choice major.
Submit a SDA SlideRoom Application
The following materials are required in order to be considered for admission in the USC School of Dramatic Arts. Please be sure to upload all materials via SlideRoom.
- Current picture or headshot
- Drama resume: Your resume should include any and all performance activities. If you would like, you may also add any other non-performance work or volunteer experience.
- Essay Questions: Your statement should respond to the prompts outlined in SlideRoom.
- Pre-Screen Videos
- Songs: Prepare three contrasting song selections, each approximately one minute in length and fully memorized with live or pre-recorded accompaniment that include a lyrical ballad written prior to 1965, a driving or dramatic contemporary theatre song and a modern pop/rock song.
- Monologue: Prepare a contemporary monologue from published, full-length play that is approximately one minute in length and age/type appropriate. Do not use accents, dialects or props. Monologues should not be from a musical.
- Dance: Please submit no more than two dance videos approximately one minute in length that demonstrate your ability in whatever dance disciplines you are most comfortable with: Jazz, Ballet, Modern, Tap, African, Hip-Hop, Lyrical, Contemporary, etc. You can submit performance clips or short combinations that you have prepared.
- Optional: Applicants may upload no more than two additional media files or creative content that demonstrate skill in the following areas: directing, film, digital media, choreography, writing for stage and screen, lyric writing, composition, musicianship, comedy or advanced dance proficiency.
- Non-refundable audition fee of $50