Degree offered by the USC School of Dramatic Arts in partnership with the USC Glorya Kaufman School of Dance and the USC Thornton School of Music
The deadline to apply is December 1, 2019.
- The following application instructions are for: Bachelor of Fine Arts in Musical Theatre
All freshman and transfer candidates for undergraduate admission must complete the following:
Submit The Common Application
You may apply to the School of Dramatic Arts using the Common Application, which includes some USC-specific questions. In addition to the online application, you will be asked to submit additional materials. For specific information about the items you will need submit, please visit USC Admission’s First-Year Application Checklist.
Note: Applicants who wish to be considered for the BFA in Musical Theatre must list it as their first-choice major on the Common Application. Given the limited number of spots for this program, we encourage you to add the BA in Theatre as your second-choice major. If you have listed the BFA and BA as your major choice options, you only need to submit the BFA Supplemental via SlideRoom.
Submit a SDA SlideRoom Application
The following materials are required in order to be considered for admission in the USC School of Dramatic Arts. Please be sure to upload all materials via SlideRoom.
- Current picture or headshot
- Resume: Your resume should include any and all performance activities (including drama and dance). If you would like, you may also add any other non-performance work or volunteer experience.
- “Take Three”: Details are available in SlideRoom.
- Essay Questions: Your statement should respond to the prompts outlined in SlideRoom.
- Pre-Screen Audition: In SlideRoom, you will be asked to provide the following:
- Acting: Upload ONE Shakespearean monologue & ONE contemporary monologue from a published play. Each should be no longer than 2 minutes in length, be contrasting, memorized and be performed in the context of the entire play.
- Voice: Upload TWO contrasting songs, one contemporary and one Golden Age (i.e., Rodgers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Loewe, Leonard Bernstein), of at least 32-bars each. Both songs must be memorized. One 32-bar cut must be from the published musical theatre canon; One 32-bar cut may be from either musical theatre or a published contemporary piece. Sing with recorded or with live accompaniment, not a cappella.
- Dance: Upload TWO 60-second clips of yourself dancing. Video ONE should demonstrate technique, strength, flexibility, accuracy and form. Video TWO should demonstrate artistry, musicality and individual movement quality. Any TWO styles are acceptable but you must show two DIFFERENT styles from the following: ballet, jazz, contemporary, tap, hip hop, freestyle, traditional cultural dance or musical theatre choreography. Your full body should be in view at all times and should be an original recording of only you. Wear appropriate dance attire and foot wear representing the chosen dance style demonstrated in each video.
- When choosing material, we encourage you to showcase work that is meaningful to you rather than to the auditor.
- Non-refundable audition fee of $50
Our Admissions Review Committee will review all pre-screen submissions and notify a small number of applicants if they have been invited to our Callback Weekend no later than the end of December. Our Callback Weekend will take place in February.