The deadline to apply is January 15, 2019.
The following application instructions are for:
- Master of Fine Arts in Acting
All candidates for graduate admission must complete the following:
Submit a SDA SlideRoom Application
The following materials are required in order to be considered for admission in the USC School of Dramatic Arts. Please be sure to upload all materials via SlideRoom.
- Current picture or headshot
- Resume: Your resume should include any and all performance activities. If you would like, you may also add any other non-performance work or volunteer experience.
- Statement of Purpose: Your statement should address the prompts outlined in SlideRoom.
- Schedule Audition: In SlideRoom, you will be asked to identify your audition date and location as outlined through our audition tour schedule. Auditions are booked on a first-come, first-served basis. Our office will send you a confirmation email with your official appointment, schedule and details. A live-audition is required for all domestic students. NOTE: International Applicants applying from overseas and who are unable to attend a live audition may upload a video via SlideRoom. Deadline to submit a video is by the priority deadline of December 1 to allow for proper notification of callback status. Late submissions past the priority date will not be considered.
- Non-refundable audition fee of $20
Note: Applicants will not be required to submit transcripts or letters of recommendations during this phase of the application process. If you are invited to attend our Callback Weekend, you will be asked to provide these materials. The GRE is not required to be considered for our MFA in Acting.
All students wishing to be considered for our MFA in Acting program must audition. Prior to your arrival, you should have prepared two (2) contrasting monologues: one classical and one contemporary. Each monologue should be no longer than two-minutes each.
Callback Weekend Information
After the audition period, our faculty will hand-select a small group of students to attend our Callback Weekend. Students will be notified at the close of each city as to your invitation status. The Callback Weekend will be held in Los Angeles in the first week of March.
2019 Audition Tour Schedule
The School of Dramatic Arts welcomes all MFA applicants to join us on our audition tour. To secure an audition, please visit SlideRoom.
|Jan. 17-21, 2019||Millennium Broadway New York Times Square
145 W. 44th St.
New York, NY 10036
(Jan. 18-20 only)Pearl Studios
500 8th Ave.
New York, NY 10018
(Jan. 17 & 21 only)
|Jan. 26-29, 2019||Palmer House
17 E. Monroe St.
Chicago, IL 60603
|Feb. 1 & 2, 2019||Courtyard Marriott Downtown
299 2nd St.
San Francisco, CA 94105
|Feb. 9, 2019||University of Southern California
1010 W. Jefferson Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90089
Submit a FAFSA application (optional)
For applicants who qualify for federal aid, we encourage you to submit a Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) application by the posted deadline. To complete an application, please visit the Federal Student Aid website.
Submit a TOEFL score
(International applicants only)
International graduate applicants must demonstrate English-language proficiency by submitting either TOEFL, IELTS or PTE Academic scores.
Submit Confidential Financial Statement/Verification of Funds
(International applicants only)
Admission to the School of Dramatic Arts is based on academic and artistic merit rather than ability to pay. The U.S. government, however, requires that all international student applicants provide proof of ability to pay tuition and living expenses for themselves and their dependents (if applicable) before a formal letter of admission and an I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility can be issued.
Our Review Process
We carefully review all applications in order to build an outstanding incoming class. We strive to complete this process in a timely manner. Any applicant may inquire on the status of his/her application by calling our office at 213-740-6771. Students should expect notification of their audition date as early as December 1. Applications submitted after this date will take 48-72 hours to notify. Notification of application status will be made immediately at the close of each audition city and Callback Weekend.